aberdeen-music

What do you say when you haven't been listening?

How do people deal with situations when they either haven't been listening/understanding/or can't actually make out what the person is saying to them but want to be polite and make some form of acknowledgement?

If someone just keeps going on about boring shite i would normally just drift off in my head and simply every now and again say:

"Yeah" (with polite laugh)

"hmm" (with thoughtful nod)

"Thats the way to go" (with smile)

Not that i'm in this situation lots... I'm sure everyone who has met Roger Kimmet has been in this situation before...

(This is me keeping myself entertained during IT at college - i suppose i best get back to my spreadsheets!)

haha what shite...

Gallowgate? yeah totaly. Would fall asleep if i didn't have my music!

i'm really bad for that. it's normaly something really important that i'm being told too. normaly goes straight over my head or theres something happening behind the person. i just nod and agree my way through life.....

i hate being in that position. i like to think i'm quite attentive at what i do, but sometimes it's just so hard to understand crazy accents or feeble voices.

if it's a patient i don't understand, i laugh politely and say 'well, what can you do' or 'well, just goes to show'. they seem to be the best general empathetic responses to imply some vague basal understanding.

if it's a doctor i don't understand i usually nod profusely and say 'smashing' or 'super' like a real fopp. sometimes this backfires if ive been asked an important question about some horrific medical condition, or told someone's on the verge of kicking the bucket. "i love your cancer".

Guest AmbientMood

I went out with a girl who was constantly saying 'I'm bored, this is boring.' She even did it when I made her breakfast. I thought girls loved greasy fry-ups, they're very good for the skin and all.

How do people deal with situations when they either haven't been listening/understanding/or can't actually make out what the person is saying to them but want to be polite and make some form of acknowledgement?

If someone just keeps going on about boring shite i would normally just drift off in my head and simply every now and again say:

"Yeah" (with polite laugh)

"hmm" (with thoughtful nod)

"Thats the way to go" (with smile)

Not that i'm in this situation lots... I'm sure everyone who has met Roger Kimmet has been in this situation before...

(This is me keeping myself entertained during IT at college - i suppose i best get back to my spreadsheets!)

haha what shite...

My friend is like that. She'll just go on and on about the most boring things, repeating herself about how much people bug her, or how her boyfriend texted her (woopedeedoo) So I end up just being like "yes..." or laugh, and occasionally I'll say "What was that? I can't hear you".

i've started tuning out when I'm taking orders from people at lunch. Especially on family saturdays (worst idea *ever*) where the parent ends up having a conversation with you, her child and her friend. I've caught myself standing there about 2 minutes after they've stopped talking and I'm just smiling and nodding into space. It's not good.

Ah' date=' now that you mention it, yeah i've noticed you do say that an awful lot with that expression on yor face. haha.

Does this mean your not listening to me?!

lol[/quote']

not alwyas, most of the time i am generally interested, but then again i do only usually see you at a gig of some sort rory, so chances are also high that i can't hear what your saying... :band:

i have a bad habit of saying "really?!"

Shaun F and I were discussing this the other day. There is nothing more annoying than people saying "Really?" in response to something you've said because usually it doesn't warrant a "really?" at all.

"What did you have for dinner?"

"Pizza."

"Really?"

Grrrr. It's just so annoying, they only ever say it because they're not really listening or don't give a shit.

Shaun F and I were discussing this the other day. There is nothing more annoying than people saying "Really?" in response to something you've said because usually it doesn't warrant a "really?" at all.

"What did you have for dinner?"

"Pizza."

"Really?"

Grrrr. It's just so annoying' date=' they only ever say it because they're not really listening or don't give a shit.[/quote']

Ah god yeah. If your trying to tell someone something and they say stuff like "Really? Oh my god!" before you've even gotten to the punchline.

i.e. "Last night i ordered pizza..." - me

"Yeah? Amazing!" - twat

"But when the pizza man arrived he was actually dead" - me

"Yeah? Amazing!" - twat

God i hate speaking to people like that. ha ha