aberdeen-music

knives out! RADIO LUCIFER live track from The Moorings...

Afro Droid

ive got this on cd' date=' i liked it actually didnt think i would as ive seen lucifer before and it wasnt my cup of tea so to speak but this is a very good recording. nice one guys[/quote']

Well as a vocal opponent to Jonny's vocals etc I was pleasantly surprised, it's never going to be my thing, but not as bad as I expected, in fact the live performance shows the band off in a much better light than the recorded, showing that for people to get the best out of RL I'd guess you'd have to see them live.

Cheers

Stuart

Guest stuartmaxwell

this is pretty good

i really need to catch lucifer sometime soon

dodgy backing vocals mind you, but lucifers voice is sounding better these days-he seems to have lost the eric cartman-ness from before and is mostly in tune

love that drum sound

this is pretty good

i really need to catch lucifer sometime soon

dodgy backing vocals mind you' date=' but lucifers voice is sounding better these days-he seems to have lost the eric cartman-ness from before and is mostly in tune

love that drum sound[/quote']

ur being nice maxwell i am worried!

well have to admit, was ready to slate you guys, but when i listened to the songs and found i actually quite liked them, i luv motley crue, and there is a definate motley type thing goin on in your songs. It would be interesting to hear you guys come up with sumthin with a really catchy chorus or sumthin i.e like in some poison or aerosmith songs. you guys (like it or not ) are not a million miles away from glam rock/hair metal (which is fuckin ace!!) sometimes a little cheesyness can make all the difference.just my opinion though.

Guest Nikola Tesla

The recording quality and drumming on this track are very cool. Don't really like the actual song though, I dunno i guess this whole sound isn't my kinda thing at all.

well have to admit' date=' was ready to slate you guys, but when i listened to the songs and found i actually quite liked them, i luv motley crue, and there is a definate motley type thing goin on in your songs. It would be interesting to hear you guys come up with sumthin with a really catchy chorus or sumthin i.e like in some poison or aerosmith songs. you guys (like it or not ) are not a million miles away from glam rock/hair metal (which is fuckin ace!!) sometimes a little cheesyness can make all the difference.just my opinion though.[/quote']

No offence at all, we love Motley Crue!

Guest Scorge Spike
Awaiting the wash of *opinion*....

Where's the fuss about the drums, sounds pretty sub-standard to me? And the song is a dump too. And you need singing lessons badly..............

3/100 (only my opinion, don't fucking shoot me).

well have to admit' date=' was ready to slate you guys, but when i listened to the songs and found i actually quite liked them, i luv motley crue, and there is a definate motley type thing goin on in your songs. It would be interesting to hear you guys come up with sumthin with a really catchy chorus or sumthin i.e like in some poison or aerosmith songs. you guys (like it or not ) are not a million miles away from glam rock/hair metal (which is fuckin ace!!) sometimes a little cheesyness can make all the difference.just my opinion though.[/quote']

Wow - real genuine positive constructive criticism. We need more of this on Aberdeen-Music.

Some notes on this...

It was recorded on 30th December 2004. Mark was away working at a real studio so unfortunately it was left to me to do the live sound. I had a bit of 'an off day', and was having big problems with the monitors feeding back. Just prior to Lucifer taking the stage I'd totally murdered the sound for Broken Sunshine.

The bar was VERY busy and it was a Thursday evening (due to New Year) so we had a hour less time to play with than normal. With nobody to help out it was impossible to push my way through to the stage and back to correct minor issues like we normally do at a level check.

The guitar sound wasn't particularily good, had Mark been there then this is likely something he'd have sorted. To make matters worse James had brought the wrong lead and could only move 2m from the amp before it became unplugged which it did several times throughout the gig.

I reduced the volume in the monitors to tame the feedback but this made it harder for the vocals to hear themselves and each other.

Under the circumstances the band played very well.

So what Mark had to work with here was borderline in terms of being able to turn it into a decent recording. IMO he succeeded!

Although this was an off night I was also the engineer when Ghost of Bongo played and that's been one of the better recordings to work on - hopefully they'll upload it for comparison.

Despite the problems I thoroughly enjoyed Radio Lucifer and they are the type of band that a recording will never do justice to. You really do have to see them live. At least 50% of the RL experience is the energy they impart to the performance. This does come accross on the live recording to some extent but it's not the whole story.

another mark thomas comedy product

and yer band's still shite

Unfortunately this is neither positive nor constructive.

For future reference' date=' here's a good example of someone [i']trying to be constructive against overwhelmingly bad sound and musicianship:

Click here for example of constructive criticism above and beyond the call of duty

Send your scene points to The Moorings Bar and mark them FOA Flash...

Some notes on this...

The guitar sound wasn't particularily good' date=' had Mark been there then this is likely something he'd have sorted. To make matters worse James had brought the wrong lead and could only move 2m from the amp before it became unplugged which it did several times throughout the gig.

[/quote']

Incidentally, the bass also drops out for a sort time in the recording, because I collided with Robb and pulled his lead out.... :nono: