aberdeen-music

Qotsa

NARC

The new album is brilliant, but the single is, for me, the worst song on it by a long chalk.

Paralyze lacks the variety of R and Songs for the Deaf, but has more cohesion. The lullaby by Lanegan that kicks things off is spooky and haunting, but after that, it's all Josh (with a bit of help from Brody and Shirley.)

To me it encapsulates the whole "Robot Rock" thing that Josh used to go on about - Bone - dry, repetive riffs and a cool ryhtmic feel. Some of the riffs are crunchy as fuck and his voice sounds as out - there as it's ever been.

I would recommend it to anyone, but if your fave Queens songs are Tension Head, Quick & To the Pointless, Millionaire etc. you obviously might not like it as much.

Oliveri had to go - He was spoiling it for everyone. I do miss him not being on the album, as I always loved the sheer variety of Queens albums - They would go from an amazingly delicate piece of guitar work and hushed vocals to a full - on punk racket with screaming. But he was fighting with the audience, his bandmates, sound engineers - everyone. It sounds like he was a bit of a twat.

Kyuss do indeed rock. Harder than just about any other band i've heard. Josh used to play his guitar thru a bass amp for maximum fuzzieness. I love that fact. :rockon:

Kyuss Are The best ever thogh qotsa are growing on me more now i used to be a huge qotsa fan then i heard Kyuss and i was like woah this is way more spitual than qotsa more soul if you know what i mean less commercial i recommened for anyone who hasnt heard kyuss to get welcome to sky valley and and the circus leaves time they just get the whole band to there full potential also nick was the heart of the band but i tell you all listen to the new album its superb bought it today

The new album is brilliant' date=' but the single is, for me, the worst song on it by a long chalk.

Paralyze lacks the variety of R and Songs for the Deaf, but has more cohesion. The lullaby by Lanegan that kicks things off is spooky and haunting, but after that, it's all Josh (with a bit of help from Brody and Shirley.)

To me it encapsulates the whole "Robot Rock" thing that Josh used to go on about - Bone - dry, repetive riffs and a cool ryhtmic feel. Some of the riffs are crunchy as fuck and his voice sounds as out - there as it's ever been.

I would recommend it to anyone, but if your fave Queens songs are Tension Head, Quick & To the Pointless, Millionaire etc. you obviously might not like it as much.

Oliveri had to go - He was spoiling it for everyone. I do miss him not being on the album, as I always loved the sheer variety of Queens albums - They would go from an amazingly delicate piece of guitar work and hushed vocals to a full - on punk racket with screaming. But he was fighting with the audience, his bandmates, sound engineers - everyone. It sounds like he was a bit of a twat.

Kyuss do indeed rock. Harder than just about any other band i've heard. Josh used to play his guitar thru a bass amp for maximum fuzzieness. I love that fact. :rockon:[/quote']

see, i probably like little sister best from the new record!

tho whole thing sounds like (to me) QOTSA(first record) filtered through the general song structure of songs for the deaf.i prefer the repetive riffing of first album and the melodic oddness of rated r.i just dont think it cuts the mustard, so to speak.my fave queens tunes are probably 'regular john' , 'you would know' , 'auto pilot' and 'first it giveth?' .just a bitty disapointed.maybe a grower, but i aint hearing it yet.

see' date=' i probably like little sister best from the new record!

tho whole thing sounds like (to me) QOTSA(first record) filtered through the general song structure of songs for the deaf.i prefer the repetive riffing of first album and the melodic oddness of rated r.i just dont think it cuts the mustard, so to speak.my fave queens tunes are probably 'regular john' , 'you would know' , 'auto pilot' and 'first it giveth?' .just a bitty disapointed.maybe a grower, but i aint hearing it yet.[/quote']

Cool, man. I think there's some great repetive riffage on the new one and it is kinda similar to the first album (Josh mainly singing, crunchy riffs, simple but effective song structures.) Maybe it will be a grower for ya. Some of my fave Queens tunes are Regular John, First It Giveth and Auto Pilot as well! Have you heard Auto Pilot when Lanegan sings it? It's better than the album version! Anyways, I need to see them live again (Last time was at Leeds 2000!)

Cool' date=' man. I think there's some great repetive riffage on the new one and it is kinda similar to the first album (Josh mainly singing, crunchy riffs, simple but effective song structures.) Maybe it will be a grower for ya. Some of my fave Queens tunes are Regular John, First It Giveth and Auto Pilot as well! Have you heard Auto Pilot when Lanegan sings it? It's better than the album version! Anyways, I need to see them live again (Last time was at Leeds 2000!)[/quote']

aye, its great.been listening to 'bubblegum' loads lately as well.i'll off to bed so i'll put on lullabies and dream about this thouroughly civil thread!

The new album is indeed very good, I've had it since Saturday (don't ask) and it seems to be quite a good synthesis of what theyve done so far. I can hear Rated R, QOTSA and Songs For the Deaf all in it. I think Little Sister is a good single but it does sound weirdly out of context, lazy even. I especially like "Tangled Up in Plaid" and "Someone's in the Wolf". Josh has got an ear for a tune without losing his unique style. Kyuss are ace but I'm slowly moving to QOTSA now I think....

I'm gonna bestow scene points only on Kyuss fans now though! Count yourself in, Marsh

QOTSA are about the only band that are generally categorised as rock that i can listen to a lot

they have definate cross over appeal to non rock(ish) people probably cos of the intelligent unusualness and smart ass use of riffing and melody / odd (ish) song structures

if the new album sounds like a crossover of 'R' and 'Songs' then its got to be pretty fucking good, its in ASDA (for 9.77 no doubt!) so thats where Im heading noo