aberdeen-music

What Cd's have you been buying recently?

Paranoid Android

Dillinger Escape Plan - Ire Works

Not previously been a DEP fan, but I nearly fucking crashed my car when I heard the awesome "Milk Lizard!"

worth getting then?

DEP are fucking incredible. I've been 'studying' panasonic youth of late. it's amazing. Chris Pennie's drumming is just amazing. He gives them that WHOLE Dillinger feel, not to take anything from the bass or guitars. Before i just was astounded by the musicianship because i didn't understand, now i listen and enjoy. :)

Kolya-Kolya LP

Meet Me In St.Louis - Variations...

Level Plane - 80 Records and we're still not broke

Devil Sold His Soul - A Fragile Hope (a sublie metal record)

Journey - Don't Stop Believin' (possibly the best dad rock record ever)

' date=' post: 142728"']worth getting then?

Umm, I think its great, but as I said I wasn't really into the earlier stuff. Theres math-metal aplenty, plus a couple of Faith No More stylee tracks, with a few straight up rockers and "weird" stuff thrown in. All rather good.

Personally, I always preferred Scarlet to DEP......

Guest Steven Dedalus
Any good?

Haven't really had time to listen to it properly, but so far it ain't a massive departure from what we've heard before. I did an interview with Yan, and it was unquestionably the worst interview I've ever done. It kind of put me off listening to it, to be honest.

Which is a real shame. For me.

But I'll listen to it now, and let you know. (and also do some work, by actually writing the reviews I get given. Ho hum.)

Haven't really had time to listen to it properly, but so far it ain't a massive departure from what we've heard before. I did an interview with Yan, and it was unquestionably the worst interview I've ever done. It kind of put me off listening to it, to be honest.

Which is a real shame. For me.

But I'll listen to it now, and let you know. (and also do some work, by actually writing the reviews I get given. Ho hum.)

I really don't like Atom, and don't have very high hopes for the album.

Guest Steven Dedalus
I really don't like Atom, and don't have very high hopes for the album.

Final verdict: They've swapped "strident" and "sweeping" for "massive" and "empty".

I listen to everything on crappy speakers (for years, my only method of listening to cds was on an alarm clock...) but even still, everything just sounds huge. But not in a good way. It's all echo-ey and sort of sounds badly produced (even through the crappy speakers) and there's not too much that grabbed me.

It's not that it sounded bad or anything, but a lot of it sounds eerily familiar to their back catalogue. And there's not really any new ideas knocking about on it.

All in all, I wouldn't be in a massive rush to get it, pop fans.

(Obviously, I don't write like this when I'm writing reviews: that would be just plain mad.)

(I write far worse than this when I'm doing reviews.)

Roy Harper 'Stormcock'. Have this already a few times...but, being a saddo for the man, I got this 'cos it's remastered & has a booklet.

It's great, like!

He performed that album start to finish when he was supporting Joanna Newsom at the Albert Hall the other month. Only caught the tail-end of it, but his voice was really powerful, totally filled the place.

Joanna Newsom said that the album was the main influence on having long songs on Ys.

Final verdict: They've swapped "strident" and "sweeping" for "massive" and "empty".

I listen to everything on crappy speakers (for years, my only method of listening to cds was on an alarm clock...) but even still, everything just sounds huge. But not in a good way. It's all echo-ey and sort of sounds badly produced (even through the crappy speakers) and there's not too much that grabbed me.

It's not that it sounded bad or anything, but a lot of it sounds eerily familiar to their back catalogue. And there's not really any new ideas knocking about on it.

All in all, I wouldn't be in a massive rush to get it, pop fans.

(Obviously, I don't write like this when I'm writing reviews: that would be just plain mad.)

(I write far worse than this when I'm doing reviews.)

You've confirmed my fears. I'll still buy it though, because I'm pathetic.

Guest Steven Dedalus
You've confirmed my fears. I'll still buy it though, because I'm pathetic.

As am I. I'm just pleased that I got given the album. But I'm not pleased that I'm going to have to go out and buy "Atom" when it comes out, even though I don't really like it.

It's like Echo and the Bunnymen all over again....

Guest bluesxman

Clutch ~ From Beale St. To Oblivion

Royksopp ~ The Understanding

Dusty Springfield ~ Dusty In Memphis

The Stooges ~ The Stooges/Funhouse 2 disc editions

Mudhoney ~ Every Good Boy Deserves Fudge

Monster Magnet - "Dopes to Infinity"

Absolutely no idea whatsoever why I didn't already have this.

Like me, you might have thought they were some hybrid "joke" band meets cock rock outfit? I was ashamed when I really listened to it and realised what a fucking fantastic band they actually were (are?...)

But...I was also a late commer to Kyuss...and I've no idea why I missed that boat! (I think it was because I was "too into death metal" at the time when I first heard it).

Like me, you might have thought they were some hybrid "joke" band meets cock rock outfit? I was ashamed when I really listened to it and realised what a fucking fantastic band they actually were (are?...)

But...I was also a late commer to Kyuss...and I've no idea why I missed that boat! (I think it was because I was "too into death metal" at the time when I first heard it).

Pretty much. I'd heard a couple of newer songs here and there that I thought were alright but nothing special... kept hearing people nattering on about how awesome the earlier stuff was, by christ they were right. I sense an Amazon Used & New back catalogue binge coming on :up:.

Guest Jake Wifebeater

Agathocles/Bestial Vomit split 7".

Antigama - "Discomfort" LP.

Bloodred Bacteria/Ruined split 7".

Deche Charge/Permanent Death - "A.C. Is Gay" split 7".

Deche Charge/Necrocannibalistic Vomitorium split tape.

Desecrator/Permanent Death split tape.

Gorgonized Dorks - "From Enslavement To Brain Explosion" tape.

Gorgonized Dorks - "10 Minute Doom" tape.

Grossmember/Microphallus split 7".

Magrudergrind/Shitstorm split LP.

Necrocannibalistic Vomitorium - "Pussymist" CD.

Unholy Grave/Archagathus split 7".

:up: