aberdeen-music

What Cd's have you been buying recently?

Paranoid Android

Was down in Manchester last week, good haul from Vinyl Exchange, other than the box set, nothing over £5, mostly a few quid...

Gallon Drunk ~ The Road Gets Darker From Here

Mission of Burma ~ Unsound

Melvins ~ Sugar Daddy Live

Johnny Thunders ~ So Alone

The Raveonettes ~ In and Out of Control

Grinderman ~ Grinderman 2 Rmx

The Triffids ~ Beautiful Waste and Other Songs/Treeless Plain/The Black Swan

The Icarus Line ~ Wildlife

Lee Ranaldo ~ Between the Times and the Tides

Don Caballero ~ World Class Listening Problem

J. Mascis + The Fog ~ More Light

Various ~ Trash Box

Das Racist - "Relax".

My head keeps telling me that these guys are complete shit, but I can't get enough.

The mixtapes were great, and the world needs more politically and socially aware bands that are funny and not didactic and preachy (Rage Against The Machine make me want to work for a bank, vote Conservative and read the Daily Mail), but the album was a bit disappointing. 'Michael Jackson' is a tune though, you feel me? Holler!

I went all fancy yesterday and bought 'The Cherry Thing' by Nina Cherry and The Thing and 'Kill for Love' by The Chromatics. Both are excellent. I got them on CD because vinyl is a treat and if I'm good with my pennies I might pick up the Gatekeeper LP later this month.

The Cherry Thing is great, squally jazz with Suicide and Stooges covers and it rules. I don't know much about Jazz in all honesty, but this has a bassy, post-punky quality to it that kind of reminds me of Pigbag in places.

I'm one of those posers who got interested in The Chromatics through Drive, but I'm really liking 'Kill for Love'. It's a long album at 90 minutes, but it's good rainy day music. It's like the Blade Runner soundtrack and Disintegration by The Cure had a really melancholy baby.

Bought this too.... and ordered the vinyl.

A real grower.

Second half of the album is particularly great in my opinion.

It's definitely improved with listens. The production of the tracks is a great improvement on a lot of the previous Teargarden stuff, as there isn't cheesy sounding synths everywhere. Nicole Fiorentino's backing vocals are a lovely touch on some songs.

It is probably the most cohesive thing b0lly has done in a long while.

Their last three albums have been mental good. ENEMY OF GOOD, HORDES OF CHAOS, PHANTOM ANTICHRIST. What a wonderful collection of album titles.

They're fucking ace. The singer has the perfect RAAAARRRGGGHGHHHH FUCKING DEMONSSSSS voice and the production is so bloody thick. Their melodies and riffs are just catchy as fuck too. So good I'm almost tempted to buy a t-shirt with mental goblins and skulls on it.