aberdeen-music

What Cd's have you been buying recently?

Paranoid Android

Akron/Family - Meek Warrior

I got the split Akron/family Angels of Light album after the excellent track on Rogues Gallery. I like it but would have preferred a pure A/F album. Is Meek Warrior any good?

Other recent buys have been:

Lantern - Clogs (probably what I've been listening to most recently)

Rogues Gallery (the sea chantey thing...)

A couple of Iron & Wine cheapies from Fopp

I bought the new Dylan and Bert Jansch albums but took them both back as, saddly ,they ain't my cup of tea.

Planning on trying the new Old Crow Medicine Show and Joanna Newsom albums...

Is Meek Warrior any good?

Planning on trying the new Old Crow Medicine Show and Joanna Newsom albums...

Meek warrior is pretty good,especially the 1st track,an epic 9min hillbilly/krautrock freakout !

Joanna Newsoms new one is fantastic,wasn't too sure about the orchestration to begin with,but it hasn't been off my player in the last month :up:

It's almost unlistenable, but by the time you get to the 1982 stage, there's light at the end of the tunnel. What album would you say is their most accesible?

the early stuff before 1982 is deffo quite tough listening at times for sure though i love it! post 82 the most accessible albums are the two they did for parlophone, code from 1987 and groovy laid back and nasty from 1990 (this is heavily influenced by chicago house and features a number of tracks with marshall jefferson), though these have both been long deleted. 1983's soundtrack to the film johnny yes no is one of their weirdest efforts (even me as a die hard cabs fan have difficulty listening to the whole thing in one go!) but the track 'taxi music' is reasonably friendly!

the ones they did for some bizarre from 82-85 are worth checking out though (the crackdown, micro phonies and the covenant, the sword and the arm of the law) they are pretty commercial compared to the early stuff, of those i'd say the crackdown is the most accessible. these are easy to get hold of u can pick em up for a fiver each.

post 91, they did a cracking album called body and soul in 91 - another one thats hard to get hold of now, very dancey (in fact this thread has prompted me to stick on said album!), 92's plasticity and 93's international language are ones that passed me by and 94's the conversation was a move back to their more experimental sound.

there's heaps of stuff like one off singles and remixes i've not covered mind and i don't know everything they've done, a lot of the stuff is difficult to track down. couple of decent 80's compilations are 'radiation' which is bbc sessions and The Original Sound of Sheffield '78 / '82 Best of.

hope that helps!

Guest bluesxman
Horses in the sky.

Ah, not the easiest starting point, although easier than the previous EP. I recommend 'He Has Left Us Alone But Shafts of Light Sometimes Grace the Corners of Our Rooms', the first album, or 'Born Into Trouble As the Sparks Fly Upward' the second one. Especially the second one.

The Long Blondes - Whatever their debut is called

And ordered and awaitng:

Mclusky - Mclusky do Dallas

I remember shifting 5 copies of their first full release single in about 20 minutes when i worked in One Up.

Did the same with FFAF two days before tey played Kef/Lava etc

thems the days..

I have everything by McLusky on all formats aside from the Best of which i still need to buy as i`m a completist..... i.e a complete piss artist

Ah, not the easiest starting point, although easier than the previous EP. I recommend 'He Has Left Us Alone But Shafts of Light Sometimes Grace the Corners of Our Rooms', the first album, or 'Born Into Trouble As the Sparks Fly Upward' the second one. Especially the second one.

I got 'This is our punk rock...' a while ago. Fantastic wee number.

Guest Jake Wifebeater

Agathocles/Disreantiyouthhellchristbastardassmanx split 7".

"Cadaverize Yourself 1" CD. (comp. of early '90's Spanish noisecore)

Excreted Alive/Ulzera split CD.