aberdeen-music

What Cd's have you been buying recently?

Paranoid Android

Guest bluesxman

Irmin Schmidt ~ Anthology:Soundtracks 1978 - 1993

Tribes Of Neurot ~ Grace

Mogwai ~ Zidane Soundtrack

Arab Strap ~ Ten Years Of Tears

The Names ~ Swimming

Sandro Perri ~ Plays Polmo Polpo

The Amps ~ Pacer

Set Fire To Flames ~ Telegraphs in Negative/Mouths Trapped in Static

Soft Machine 'Middle Earth masters'

Roy Harper 'Beyond the Door' (CD/DVD)

Otherwise been scavenging CDs from the library & elsewhere, such as

Emmanuelle Parrenin 'Maison Rouge'

Judee Sill 'Complete Asylum recordings'

Nick Castro and the Young Elders new one

I have bought the Judee Sill double CD as well a few weeks ago, having read Andy Partridge (XTC) raving about her somewhere some time ago. I hadn't known any of her stuff before and was completely blown away (doesn't happen a lot anymore, too old for that). Particularly "The Donor" on the second CD ("Heartfood" if my memory serves me well) is absolutely amazing (think Johann Sebastian Bach meeting Brian Wilson). Highly recommended to anybody who likes great songwriting (if you like Joni Mitchell you will LOVE Judee Sill).

I have bought the Judee Sill double CD as well a few weeks ago, having read Andy Partridge (XTC) raving about her somewhere some time ago. I hadn't known any of her stuff before and was completely blown away (doesn't happen a lot anymore, too old for that). Particularly "The Donor" on the second CD ("Heartfood" if my memory serves me well) is absolutely amazing (think Johann Sebastian Bach meeting Brian Wilson). Highly recommended to anybody who likes great songwriting (if you like Joni Mitchell you will LOVE Judee Sill).

I saw her on The Old Grey Whistle Test when I was at school (a long, long time ago), and was impressed enough to buy her 'Jesus was a crossmaker' single, but sadly never got the albums until they were reissued on vinyl last year. The library having the double CD was a bonus! There's also some great unreleased stuff on this website http://www.webnoir.com/bob/music/,

and also the 'Dreams come true' set.

I saw her on The Old Grey Whistle Test when I was at school (a long, long time ago), and was impressed enough to buy her 'Jesus was a crossmaker' single, but sadly never got the albums until they were reissued on vinyl last year. The library having the double CD was a bonus! There's also some great unreleased stuff on this website http://www.webnoir.com/bob/music/,

and also the 'Dreams come true' set.

Thanks a lot for the link to that website, highly interesting stuff! I grew up in Germany, so no chance to see the "The old grey whistle test", but way back then (at the tender age of 7) my favourite bands were Sweet and Slade, so I might not have taken notice of Judee anyway.

It is strange, I recently met a Swedish friend (who funnily enough plays in a heavy metal band) and when we discussed great music we heard lately he started praising Terry Reid, while I raved about Judee Sill. Makes you wonder why so many people are always desperately trying to find the hip new artists, when there are still so many hidden treasures (name of my former band by the way) to be found in the past...

Mind you, there's plenty great new stuff...I've been raving about Espers for a while now, and they're a newish lot.

One of my favourite artists is Bridget St John....you might enjoy her musi....check out this radio session...http://www.wnyc.org/shows/spinning/episodes/2006/09

I first heard her about the same time as I first heard Judee Sill, and was quite upset when I found out she'd played Aberdeen Uni and I missed her (being still at school, and a bit clueless). I finally saw her this April when I played on the same bill. She was great!!!

To get back to this thread.....another new one I've got is John Coltrane "One down, one up"(live at the Half Note)

Mind you, there's plenty great new stuff...I've been raving about Espers for a while now, and they're a newish lot.

OK, I didn't mind to say that it was all better then, you are right there might be more exciting music being released these days then ever. Anyway to add to the REAL purpose of this thread here my recent purchases:

Divine Comedy: Victory For The Comic Muse

The Who: Wire & Glass

Buzzcocks: Singles going steady (CD-version)

Ron Sexsmith: Time being

Wilco: Kicking Television, Live in Chicago

Guest Phantomsmasher

Hototogisu - Prayer Rug Exorcism

Whitehouse - Great White Death

Mutant Ape/Grunt split

Neptune - Patterns

Converge - No Heros

A couple of Fennesz albums on the way also.