aberdeen-music

Rate the albums you have listened to today.

Paranoid Android

I'm copying this thread idea from another forum I use as it's generated a lot of discussion and become one of the best music threads there. So do what it says in the title post some comments about the albums you have most recently listened to, whether it's for the first second or fiftieth time. And if you like give a rating out of 5 or 10 or whatever.

Danny Brown | Old - 3rd time listening to this today and I really like it, think the first half edges it for me but the two complement each other well. I'd been a bit 50/50 with him before but this is great and probably my favourite hip hop release this year.

Ke$ha | Animal - Ok I know this wont exactly be the most popular thing around here but I listened to this yesterday for the first time in ages and again today. There are a few tracks I skip and there are better ones that could have been on it but aren't but mostly I still find this brilliant. Big thumbs up.

Bill Callahan | Dream River - It's not as good as Apocalypse nor ...Eagle but he'd set a very high standard with those. I'm very satisfied with this.

The National ~ Trouble Will Find Me / A More downbeat and sombre affair than High Violet, but some of the songs really have gotten under my skin.

9/10

Low ~ The Invisible Way / Bizarrely catchy considering some of the subject matter in the songs, and the sparse arrangements are expertly crafted. Mimi Parker's voice is gorgeous, as usual.

8/10

Mazzy Star ~ Seasons of Your Day / I fucking love Mazzy Star. Bloody damn hell love them.

10/10

RM Hubbert ~ Breaks and Bones / After seeing Hubby live a few times, I did worry that the lack of story telling, which is a big element of his show would detract from the recorded music. Certainly not, still very engaging and emotional music.

8/10

The National ~ Trouble Will Find Me / A More downbeat and sombre affair than High Violet, but some of the songs really have gotten under my skin.

9/10

I like it a lot more that high violet. In fact it could even end up being my favourite of theirs. For whatever reason I'd got it into my head that after a great run they might have been entering a period of diminishing returns. Very happy to be wrong about that.

PiL - Plastic Box.

4 CD collection that features almost whole albums (meaning you still need the original albums), singles mixes and radio sessions. I already have most of the material but the rarer stuff was worth getting at the low price. I like it but I find some value in all PiL incarnations.

8/10, because of the weird method of track inclusion

Tindersticks - San Sebastien 2012

Caught up with their last album 'The Something Rain', bought the 2 disc version which included this live album, all versions of songs from the studio album. Really good. If you like Tindersticks, I guess.

9/10

Edited by Monster Zero

Danny Brown - Old. Real good. Hasn't completely blown my head off like XXX did, but I'm really enjoying it. Can't get "Dip" out of my head. 8/10.

Pusha T - My Name is My Name. It's decent enough, not as good as I thought it was going to be. A lot of features I could have done without (Chris Brown, hi) but there's definitely some bangers on it. Hope it grows on me a bit more. 6/10.

Kid Cudi - Indicud. Still shite. 2/10. 

Fish - A Feast of Consequences - 9/10 - Another cracker after the return to form that was Thirteenth Star, wasn't sure tbh he could repeat his success there but he managed it and make it better, the WW1 concept piece in the middle, the High Wood Suite is worth the price of admission alone, possibly his best ever solo album.

Yo La Tengo - Painful, probably their most consistent album outside of compilations. Shoegazey lofi bliss! 9/10

Lift to Experience - The Texas Jerusalem Crossroads, Epic crazed ramblings with a fucking great guitar tone 8/10

Amon Amarth - Surtur Rising, Vikings and chugga chugga guitars! 6/10

I've not listened to Painful in ages, I think I prefere Electr-o-pura from that period but both are great.

Me either - Nowhere Near was the end song on the US remake of the The Bridge the other day so I dug it out. Electr-o-pura is decent but Nowhere Near and I Heard You Looking are hard to beat.

Lorelle meets the Obsolete Corruptible FacesPsych rock by a duo from Guadalajara, Mexico.  I've listened to this a couple of times and it sounds fairly consistently good, with lots of riffs and echoey vocals and enough pop hooks to make it memorable and interesting.  Their new single 'What's Holding You?', which isn't on the album, is even better.  7/10 for the moment but it might get a bit higher with more listens.

The Band - Live at the Academy of Music 1971 10/10 (so far)

It's just been released with additional discs and a booklet and DVD etc. I've only listened to disc 1 so far but have done so twice because it's so jaw droppingly wonderful. I can't wait to get home and continue my listening pleasure. I haven't felt like this for years. Ultimate music.

Edited by Shaki

Loveliescrushing - bloweyelashwish

1993 debut album from a couple of spaced out ambient shoegaze types. Its hard to believe that it's just guitars and vocals, some of the lushest, fullest sound soundscapes I've ever heard. Perfect for a rainy day like today. Has no drums but makes up for it with lashings of delay and reverb. Imagine Loveless with no drums and no distortion/overdrive.

I'm gonna give this 8/10.

Lisa Knapp Hidden Seam: First album in six years by the English folk singer and featuring lots of the great and the good (James Yorkston, Alisdair Roberts, Martin Carthy etc).  Like her first album, it's a bit of a mixed affair.  The best tunes like the title track and Seagiver are pretty amazing - almost like 'Hounds of Love' era Kate Bush.  Some of the other tracks are a bit weak or cheesy.  I like the 'Hunt the Hare' duet she does with Alasdair Roberts.  7/10 but individual tracks between 5/10 and 9/10.

Laura Cantrell No Way There from Here: Another 'first album in a while'.  It sounds like a Laura Cantrell album, which is a good thing.  There's maybe a bit more a bluegrass feel than on some of her earlier albums - it sounds a bit more stripped down and there's a bit more fiddle playing action.  There are definitely good songs but nothing yet that's really grabbed me. At least a 6 and probably a 7/10 so far.

PJ Harvey - Uh Huh Her. There's one song on this album I hate and over time the memory has become a bit warped and I started to think that I hated the whole album. I put it on today for the first time in years and realised I don't hate this album, not at all, in fact it's a really good album, raw and rough around the edges in places, but polished and haunting in others. A few stinkers and a little bit of filler but a lot of superb tracks as well.

6/10 

Colleen | The Weighing of the Heart - 2nd listen to this. It doesn't sound like anything else I've listened to this year and I think I'll need to be in a certain to listen to it. I can see it being a grower though, there's a lot to take in, despite the music being quite sparse itself. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-MMHRZYM8U

The Field | Cupid's Head - Probably 5th or 6th listen since it came out. Another fantastic album from him. My early judgement would put it second in his discography, the music's as mesmerising and engaging as ever but with just enough different that this album has its own identity. 

Edited by Paranoid Android

Siriusmo - Mosaik - 8.5/10 -  it's quickly becoming one of my favourite ever electronic music albums. One of the rare albums I always listen to all the way through instead of just playing the odd track now and again. Every track is an utter belter in it's own right. Highly recommended for fans of... dunno really... music I guess.