aberdeen-music

What's your recording setup and method?

Chris

10 hours ago, Jaaakkkeee said:

Cheers. Looks like I was at last-resort. No way to really do all this stuff. The tracks are home-recorded by the artist and he's too far away for me to go and double check all these variables. 

If it's something you're getting paid for it might be worth trying to get him to re-do his vocals with the methods above (at least the diagonal facing to the mic and a pop shield), it might save the hassle later and it'll sound better.

If not, yes, you can minimise the issue with a de-esser but that can cause other issues with the vocals as well if you're not able to get rid of it with very minimal usage.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Alkaline said:

If it's something you're getting paid for it might be worth trying to get him to re-do his vocals with the methods above (at least the diagonal facing to the mic and a pop shield), it might save the hassle later and it'll sound better.

If not, yes, you can minimise the issue with a de-esser but that can cause other issues with the vocals as well if you're not able to get rid of it with very minimal usage.

cheers for the tips!

• 3 weeks later...

I like to use some subtle (and sometimes not so subtle) distortion throughout a mix. The complex harmonics can add warmth, depth. punch and crunch.  I use Thermionic Culture Vulture and Vertigo Mix Satellite plugins in the mixing process.  The Vertigo can really dial in specific distortions to frequency ranges also help sculpt the stereo image.  It is easy to overdo it, sometimes it is hard to be subtle!  Check out the tutorial/demo http://www.uaudio.com/store/mastering/vsm-3-mix-satellite.html?#p=vertigovsm3tutorial

This is a good general article in sound on sound on getting a "loud" mix: http://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/crafting-loud-mixes-sound-great

I got Strymon Deco and Moog Drive pedals to try and recreate elements of this in a live setting with my electronic jams.  Not quite the same though but still sounds ace, end up using them not so subtly.

• 3 weeks later...

ill put up photos later of our bands rehearsal space/  recording space

Interface

soundcraft singature 12MTK

also using a mac pro (cant remember the year)

for guitar were using a berghringer V-Amp were still kinda fiddling about with the tones on it as were getting quite tinny sounding guitar recordings from.

Software

Currently using reaper which is what im used to using but looking at other alternatives

Not using any VST's as not long set up but if folk could recommend some for reverb, compressors and low and high pass filters

Microphones

4x SM57's

2x SM58's

1x AKG D5 (favourate vocal mic ever)

and a cheap samson condenser  but again need to upgrade this to a neumann tlm 102

Monitors

Currently using a cheap set of alesis monitors which we get okay results from. in the past i've stuck by studio spares sn10's which were just a great set of speakers at budget price but studio spares have stopped selling them unfortunately.