aberdeen-music

Unusual Contract Rider requirements

Graham Knight

There have been some unusual clauses in the riders that accompany contracts.

This old Van Halen rider takes some beating and this is only one of 53 pages in the rider.

vanhalen.gif

What would Aberdeen Music members like to be able to add to their contracts?

judging by hius talent I would imagine that Alan Cycnic will soon be able to add "Chauffeur driven limo"

I think Bigsby already has a clause that requires two guitar technicians to be on stand by at all gigs and of course a masseuse to be on hand before and after the show.

Lucky Rathen needs a never ending supply of Sprite.

When "Nice Peter" recently played at Snafu his rider extras just asked for "one crate of beer".

What is the most unusual clause you have seen in a contract?

The brown m+m thing is because Van Halen had a very complex stage setup, and the safety requirements needed to be followed to the letter. The brown m+ms was an indicator of how closely the venue listened to their requirements. The one gig there was brown m+ms, a girder above the stage collapsed.

True story.

The brown m+m thing is because Van Halen had a very complex stage setup, and the safety requirements needed to be followed to the letter. The brown m+ms was an indicator of how closely the venue listened to their requirements. The one gig there was brown m+ms, a girder above the stage collapsed.

True story.

You are absolutely right. If the band didn't find brown only M&M's then it was likely the promoter did not pay close attention to every detail on the 52 other pages.

judging by his talent I would imagine that Alan Cycnic will soon be able to add "Chauffeur driven limo"

I think Bigsby already has a clause that requires two guitar technicians to be on stand by at all gigs and of course a masseuse to be on hand before and after the show.

In my case as long as First Bus provide a driver on a No. 2 bus I'm happy enough, but you're almost spot-on with Bigsby....well, the bit about massaging being "at hand" anyway!

Guest Exposure @ Lemon Tree

A girl I know who used to work at Moshulu showed me Lil Chris's rider. He had a similar M&M thing, but I think it was the opposite, he only wanted red M&Ms or something similar. Lil Shit more like...

When she took his rider away so she could show guys like me and take the piss of him, he asked if she wanted him to sign it. "Erm, no thanks..." Don't think he appreciated that much :)

Also, when we supported Hayseed Dixie, their rider apparently said that in the space where the drums would normally go, they wanted a massive pile of crates of beer. Rock n roll...

Two guitar players would be more helpful for everyone concerned I think.

And sadly I've never had a masseuse provided for me, I always have to take these things into my own hands.

Lucky Rathen needs a never ending supply of Sprite.

I'm off the Sprite :( Trying to cut down on my sugar intake. It's been a struggle but I'm starting to come round to Sprite Zero.

Anyway, what's with all that fresh fruit and green tea? What happened to the days when all any rock band worth their salt asked for was Jack Daniels and whores?

Our bassist would undoubtedly request either ale or wine or Campari. Or all three mixed together. I'd probably pretend to be hard and ask for Jack Daniels or something but I'd end up drinking Earl Grey. Oh and I'd definitely ask for a cheese board.

• 3 years later...

Crazy Dutchman Jos Grain's Tour Rider for Iggy Pop is a classic and has been going around the Net for the last six years.

This is latest update - I look forward to the annual update.

It shows that a combination of humour and clear instructions is a good way of getting things done properly.

http://josgrain.com/StoogesRiders.pdf

"3 large industrial fans to be provided by promoter two on stage and one in the

dressing room for use by the drummer. He's practicing that scarf thing that they

used to do in Bon Jovi and Heart videos."

Excellent. The great thing about that document is that it just seems like they're asking for all the gear to be provided then they'll all rock up in their own cars an hour beforehand, play the show, get hammered then piss off (probably drink drive home).